Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Squirrel a go go

I woke up at 2am to scratching and squabbling on top of the attic fan.  Damn squirrels.  They share our house -  heck, they were here before us.  But dang-it, they rudely decided to have a Vermin Rave on a work night.  I sat there listening to them get hopped up on acorn juice or whatever.  It sounded like there was a whole mob  up there, their little grey bodies writhing to a primitive rodent beat.  The big owl who lives outside our back window started asking:  "who, who?" as if he was a stone cold hit man looking for a contract.  I told  him: " the damned squirrels, that's who - kill 'em".  But he didn't seem to understand - or maybe the squirrels are part of his posse - he just kept asking "who, who?".

It would seem to me that in a world of infinite diversity where every niche is filled and the dance of nature is finely balanced that some evolutionary process or intelligent designer would have come up with a squirrel species that doesn't like to party at 2am on Thursday mornings 8 feet above my head.

I'm going to see if I can put a contract out on 'em with the red tailed hawk that lives in the front yard - he's less sentimental.

Bloody tree rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment