Sunday, January 29, 2017

Dying

This is two poems in one.  An inner poem which is addressed to a mortal lover.  When the first and last stanzas are added it becomes a poem addressed to my immortal Lover. I am quite proud of its classic biblical structure which I attribute to Robbie Griggs teaching on Dan Dorian's book on hermeneutics. Guys this is all your fault.


Lord, I've known dying and I've been alone.
And I'd rather die for You than live for me.

My heart can stop but once, my soul to fly away.
But being without you is dying every day.

I've clung to cliffs in hailing wind and choked till I turned blue.
But I've never hurt so much as when without You.

I've slammed bloody on a reef, where sharks could eat me through.
But I've never been so scared as when I  couldn't find You.

I've wavered with a gun, pointing it straight at my face.
Because I've never been so hopeless as when without Your grace.

So my Love don't leave me here.
For it's losing you I fear.

I've known dying and I've been alone.
And I'd rather die with you than be alone with me.

Lord, I've known dying and I've been alone.
And I'd rather die in You than live for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment